Sunday, January 23, 2011

Why effective communication skills are important for me

Hi =) welcome to my blog.

For me, effective communication skills are important as, based on what I've read, they are critical for building quality interpersonal relationships. Such relationships, in my opinion, form the core of the human existence. Based on a book by David W. Johnson, “Reaching Out: Interpersonal Effectiveness and Self-Actualization”, communication can be defined as, “exchanging messages to achieve understanding of each other’s perceptions, ideas and experience”. Such exchange however, has a strong potential for misunderstandings between people. This is because people can attach different meanings to the same words, or the same meaning to different words.  This phenomenon can thus lead to an incorrect interpretation of another’s words and hence lead to unnecessary anger and conflict. Personally, I do not think that my communication skills are very good, as I appear to have problems reading other people’s non verbal messages as well as understanding and assessing the emotions of others. Thus I would like to acquire effective communication skills through this module as I believe by improving my communication skills, I would be better able to express myself to others, understand what other people are saying to me, and in so doing, improve the quality of my interpersonal relationships.

Another reason why I think having good communication skills is important is that it would help me to help others better. Since we would encounter, sooner or later, friends in need of our advice or rebuke, I would like to learn how to be an effective communicator so that I can give concrete, courteous and constructive advice. In helping or advising people, I think it is important to empathize with people and see their situation from their point of view, before giving our own opinions on what they should do. I believe that learning effective communication skills would improve my ability to empathize with, and be courteous towards people, hence enabling me to be an effective counselor to my friends.

Lastly, I think effective communication skills are important to me in my career. I aim to be a scientist in the future, thus being able to communicate effectively in the workplace would be crucial to success in my career. This is because a scientist needs to be able to formulate hypothesizes in as concrete a way as possible, so that his colleagues would know exactly what he is trying to say. Furthermore, it is common for scientists to disagree with each other on which theory describes scientific phenomena most accurately. Therefore, acquiring good communication skills would allow me to argue for my case not only persuasively and accurately, but also courteously, so that I would not offend my colleagues who disagree with me .

13 comments:

  1. Hi Jon. You may be less effective at communication now but I believe you will improve. Life is not static and changes will invoke improvement of the self.

    I really like your quotation of the book by David W. Johnson, “Reaching Out: Interpersonal Effectiveness and Self-Actualization”. At times, the use of a definitions or phrases from a published source helps us to convey ideas easier than coming up with those of our own.

    I am in favor of the way you structure your blog post. You have categorized your reasons in three major areas of self improving, helping others and career as a scientist. This helps readers to groups ideas that you want to convey in their mind as they read on. I saw influence from a module we took last year, SP1202- Communicating with the Academic, and it was nicely reflected in your post.

    I have noticed that you chose a larger font for the word ‘empathize’ but there is no further elaboration on it. Did you meant it to be larger or is there a technical glitch?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your encouraging comments yu tian. I accidentally made the word "empathize" larger. Thanks for pointing it out. I'll correct it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey its good that you mentioned that as a scientist it is important communicate effectively. All the mad scientists in the world, maybe aren't really be mad; Probably just misunderstood.

    I suppose it extends beyond just communicating effectively for the purposes of scientific discourse. There would come a time where you would have to share your ideas with non-scientists. A lot like our past lunches; civil engineering and life sciences are quite far removed from each other but so far I've been able to understand you so you may be better then you think.

    Or maybe I'm just that good at reading people. Haha...

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Faizal: I understand what he was saying too, so that means he is better at communicating than what he thinks.

    @Jon: I also like it that you paragraph your ideas distinctly. As for the second point, you mentioned "we would encounter friends in need of our advice and rebuke". Just for curiosity's sake, how would you advice/rebuke a friend who is drunk and insists on driving, in an effective way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jon,

    I like the way you said you want to be an effective communicator to help others by giving good advice! You do have great ideas and being a good communicator will help to transmit these ideas successfully to people! Anyway,in the same paragraph,you mentioned that effective communication skills will help you to empathise with people better. Do you think it could be other way round? That empathy leads to good communication skills rather than good communication skills leading to increased empathy?

    I think you can communicate fairly well! you simply need more practice in communicating with others. You have some knowledge of skills and techniques that can catalyse effective communication with others. You only need to put them into practice,and adapt these techniques to a style that is suitable for you. This,of course,is a tedious process which can be achieved by trial and error. Haha,this process of experimentation shouldn't be too big a problem for you,since that will be what you do on a daily basis in the future when you become a scientist!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jonathan, This is a very well organized response to the assignment. I like the way you clearly, concisely and with concrete detail explain why developing effective comm skills is so important for you.

    I have to admit that I was a bit sceptical when I read this bit: ...“exchanging messages to achieve understanding of each other’s perceptions, ideas and experience”. Such AN exchange, however, has a strong potential for misunderstandings between people. This is because people can attach different meanings to the same words, or the same meaning to different words.

    The problem is that misunderstandings of the meanings of words are just one problem in communication. There are all sorts of other barriers, as we discussed in class. You yourself make it clear that there are many other issues afoot in poor communication when you mention reading nonverbals incorrectly.

    In any case, you do a good job of expressing your needs re better comm skills.

    There is one sentence structure/punctuation issue here that can be improved:

    - I aim to be a scientist in the future, thus being able to communicate effectively in the workplace would be crucial to success in my career. >>> I aim to be a scientist in the future; thus, being able to communicate effectively in the workplace would be crucial to success in my career. or I aim to be a scientist in the future. Thus, being able to communicate effectively in the workplace would be crucial to success in my career.


    Thanks for your effort!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Faizal, Michelle, Ediwn, Brad: Thanks for all your encouraging comments! =)

    @Michelle: That’s a good question about your hypothetical drunk friend Michelle. Considering that I have not been in that situation before, I am unable to give very specific steps on how to advise such a friend. However, I will offer my opinion on what, in general, could be done to help such a friend.

    I think it is important to be tactful, logical and yet firm with such a friend that he cannot drive. Considering that in his drunken state, his cognitive abilities are compromised; being more firm than logical may help to push him to avoid driving home. Personally I don’t think solely relying on reason will help since he is unable to think straight. I would try to suggest other alternatives for him to travel home instead of driving. One possible solution would be to suggest that I and he can take a cab home, with me paying so that my solution sounds more attractive. Obviously, humans have free will, so even if I gave perfect advice, my friend may not listen to me. If he did insist on driving home, I’ll respectfully refuse to get in his car for my own safety.
    Hope this helps, not very specific I know, sorry about that haha =).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Edwin, on further thought, yes I do agree with you that that empathy leads to good communication skills rather than good communication skills leading to increased empathy. Perhaps I should have phrased my statement as, "I believe that learning effective communication skills would improve my ability to communicate empathy to, and be courteous with...".

    Thanks for your feedback! =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Being the universal language, proper English grammar should be observed other than having 1300 number for communication.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Effective communication is the on the basic yet very essential requirement in each segment of life and when it comes for the business owners it becomes much more important, that's why most of the business owners are using 1300 numbers in Australia for it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is an intresting blog that you have posted, you shares a lot of things about Postgraduate Courses, M.Sc. in IT, MBA Colleges and Communication Skills.Which are very informative for us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Importance of effective communication can never be ignored, and I think that is the reason why business owners in Australia are preferring, more effective communication links such as Australian 1800 number to impress their customers.

    ReplyDelete