Monday, April 18, 2011

Final Reflection on ES2007S. My class rocks! =) (edited)

As I look back on my personal growth in this module, I feel that this module was fun, challenging, and extremely meaningful. This is because I’ve learnt what the principles underlying effective communication (e.g. the 7Cs) are. Acquiring such head knowledge alone is not sufficient in improving one’s communication skills however. Hence, I believe that the many opportunities provided for me to practice communication skills and the extensive feedback received from everyone, have helped me to improve my interpersonal communication ability.  This is basically the main thing that I value from this course. With respect to the 7Cs, I think that this course has impressed upon me the idea that concreteness and clarity is a critical component of effective communication. Obviously, the remanding 5Cs are also important, but I kind of understood that before I took ES2007S.

Another thing which I value is the oral presentation. Although it is part of the assignments given, and hence is technically covered in my previous paragraph, the presentation meant a lot to me, therefore I feel that it deserves special mention. I’m actually quite afraid of giving presentations, but I understand that they’ll play an indispensable role in my professional career. Hence, I do actually look forward to giving presentations (despite my fear) as I’m sure that through practice, my presentation skills will improve until I would one day, be able to stand confidently before a crowd with little or no nervousness.  I fully believe that ES2007S, through its lessons on giving presentations, has extremely benefited me as I’ve learnt how to be a better speaker through the use of effective non-verbal signals, eye contact and tone and volume control. Although I’m sure that I can still improve in these areas, I’m mentioning them in my blog post as I think I have made discernable improvements in these areas.

Along the same lines as Jac and Michelle however, I do feel a bit sad/worried about my lower than expected results for some of my assignments. Although I do realize that grades aren’t everything, well, I need them in order to qualify for graduate school admission (something which I currently don’t qualify for  ><).

13 comments:

  1. hey hey!! your improvement is indeed discernible! Very impressive! Well, I hope that your worry regarding your grades would not hinder you in acknowledging and appreciating the lessons that you have learnt!

    And one more thing, last line is repeated. Will be good to change it! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad to see your improvements through this course. A good recommendation right? Haha =)

    Even though we (including Edwin also) did not manage to do the project as a team as we had planned, seeing you grow and even becoming a coordinator of another team is very rewarding. So no more hiding behind us in the future ok? You are ready to shine and claim your own world with your own hands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jon!

    It's been great knowing you this while!

    Like what Edwin and Yu Tian mentioned, I think that you've really grown throughout this course! And even though you may be upset about grades, but you could look at this more positively! Definitely, these soft skills will stay with you for life, and I feel that's the one of the more important things you have gained out of this course.

    All the best for your future endeavours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jon! Haha you're really a fun person after getting to know you a bit more! :) thanks for always sharing your insights and I'm glad that you've learnt so much in this module! Through your presentation, I could tell that you've internalized everything you've learnt and used it well and appropriately. It's really wonderful to see you grow so much over this semester! Hope your exams go well and good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Jon! We didn't really get to work much together this semester did we? Haha but nevertheless,in the short amount of time that we had to work together for the mock interviews, I really enjoyed it. I would say don't be sad about the grades. I believe that as long as you had given your best (which I believe you did), things would turn out just fine. All the best in your exams and do keep in touch :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Jonathan! Thanks for your sharing! :D
    I agree with you that the 7Cs are the valuable take away points.
    Same as you, I will get nervous whenever I am in front of people. When I presented during mock presentation and OP, I was very nervous too. But no worries, with hardwork and practice, you can perfect your oral presentation skills.

    It is a pity that I did not work with you before during es2007s. But still happy to know you as a friend! It is a joy talking to you too! All the best to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anyway, last post for you!

    haha! Did I tell you that I had been really impressed by your performance during the presentation? And when Yu Tian told me how good you were during the mock presentation, I just couldn't wait to listen to you do the real thing! And as Yu Tian described, YOU WERE GREAT! A far cry from the original Jon that I knew, who was unsure of himself and awkward with attention focussed on him. Even during the first peer teaching, while you certainly did a great job, there were still signs of un-naturalness in the limelight. But Jon, you have grown! And I am sure that it is due to the hard work that you put in through the course, always being so willing to learn, but always questioning what others say. I think these traits will help you go in a long way. Now that you have become quite adept in these ways, perhaps its time to learn the art of leadership- a skill which is necessary to bring you up another level. Learn how to take the initiative and think creatively out of the box for new ideas. Shed off passivity. If you can practice that during the next semester, I'm sure I'd be amazed to see you when i come back from Africa. =)

    All the best Jon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Jon!!

    Despite being in life science and in the same LT for lectures, i'm most amazed that i've not known you until this module.

    It was nice to have gotten to know you more, despite not having the chance to work with you for any projects.

    I think you've really learnt a lot and you've really done very very well in your presentation!

    The most memorable thing for me about you was your mock interview where you've came in crossed legged. Then we spewed a torrent of terrible questions at you and how you've remained so calm despite the circumstances.

    You have indeed been a great classmate!! All the best for your exams ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Jonathan, for the well organized, highly detailed reflection. I appreciate the way you explain your take aways from the course. It also impresses me that you focus your post on your growth in presenting, as indeed all of us who watched you could see how much you have improved. That sort of development only happens when you have an open heart and a quick mind. I was also happy to see how eager you were to learn, Jonathan, throughout the course, even when that meant leaving your comfort zone.

    I note that in Edwin's post comment he also applauds you and yet implores you to take your game up a step and to work on leading. That's wise advice, Jonathan, and as you move forward on your learning journey and life path, build on the skills and sensitivities that you have developed to date. Reach higher than you might have ever imagined: the sky is the limit.

    All the best for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for all your encouraging comments and suggestions for improvement! =) All of you heap compliment after compliment on me haha. I don't think I deserve that much actually :P. But still, you guys have warmed my heart greatly (guess who I stole that phrase from? ;)) by your myriad compliments. I will try my best to implement your suggestions so that I can grow into a better person.

    @Brad and Edwin: Thanks for your suggestion to develop leadership abilities. I do tend to be afraid of leadership roles because I can be a bit indecisive at times. I would like to learn how to be a good leader so I'm definitely going to take your suggestion to heart and try to hone my leadership skills. What do you think is a good way for me to become a more decisive person?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Make more mistakes when you make decisions. hahah! If you don't try,there is no decision made! Learning from the mistake is important, but maybe not so much of a problem for you because you are so willing to learn. Try to venture out of the box and keep an open mind to exploring different solutions. =)

    ReplyDelete